Wednesday, January 21, 2009

One Week Gone










I have now been in Jerusalem for one entire week, and a few other exciting things have gone down. I've begun Ulpan, Level Bet 1 (translation: all foreign students to Hebrew University are required to enroll in an intensive Hebrew course for one month prior to classes. I'm in the intermediate level, a little below where I came from with my Hebrew in Michigan, but my last semester of Hebrew at Michigan was a little too hard for me; so this is a pretty good level for me.) However, it took a little while to get me placed right, as the administration had me in the wrong level, so I did a lot of switching and saying things like "Shmi Talia ve ani m'Florida" (translation: My name is Talia and I'm from Florida). I've been doing mostly review, but I am definitely learning new words. The hardest thing is still mustering up the confidence to use what I learn.



I would have to say the most exciting thing this week was last night, where I went to Beh Yehuda street area to a couple different bars to watch and celebrate the inauguration of President Obama! Through connections, there was a bar that was essentially closed off to a bunch of us Americans from Rothberg to watch the inauguration, and after which, we went to a couple different places. I went with my roommate Julia and her friend Abram to another pub, which was essentially an American Pub in Jerusalem. They had decorations up everywhere to celebrate Prez. Obama and it was pretty exciting. An interesting thing about some of the pubs that I've been to. Whenever you sit down to order, they bring out a large basket of yummy popcorn, for free, for you to munch on while drinking. Can't get better than that! And somehow, the one drink that I ordered from this pub was red, white, and blue (as you'll see in the attached picture). I did not intend to do that and nothing in the name of the drink indicated it would come out as such, but it was pretty fun to have that. Then our little trio joined up with about 15 more, which then collected more people, so all in all, about 20+ Americans celebrated loudly in a bar called Zolli's, in Jerusalem. I can't imagine what life will be like here when elections happen, all the Israelis maybe celebrating?







Unfortunately, I'm still a bit sick from my travels. I have almost no voice and I'm not feeling completely healthy, but I'll get there. It's pretty amazing to be here though, regardless of being sick or not. And it gets even better when I start seeing friends here. I went with a friend named Lital to her house for dinner, which was very nice (Lital was actually originally Ali's friend, but since she moved back here, I have swooped her up as a great friend and connection). I have also continued to make contact and hang out with my Israeli friends from summer camp.








Will continue to update you as things happen. Enjoy living in a new era back home (hopefully!)




I leave you with: עם ישראל חי! (The nation of Israel lives!)








-טליה (Talia, if you couldn't figure it out) :)

4 comments:

  1. Clearly the most exciting part of this for me was the FREE POPCORN. That's so cool! I think it's great that they celebrated the brand new Obama Nation even over there...Gobama! Feel better, bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big news here: the temp will be 29 tonight....brr-rrr (OK that's 'big' news for sunny Florida). Glad that you can celebrate a momentous American event in another country. Israeli elections must be crazy- you'll let us know. Can you caption your photos? HOW are you writing in Hebrew? That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is your tan hat? Great pictures of friends and views of Jerusalem. Go for it girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree about the ulpan situation- you're doing the right thing by going where you're comfortable, but USE IT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Stretch your comfort zone as you can, so you will really learn. My biggest advice (that is hard for me) is not to be scared when you try to speak in Hebrew and an Israeli says, "What?" or "I didn't understand you" in English. Repeat what you said in Hebrew slowly and clearly and let them correct you in Hebrew if it's wrong.
    You're awesome and sounds like you're rockin the Holy Land!

    ReplyDelete